Pin It

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

And what am I? Chopped Liver?



After a successful day at the Farmer's Market, Quest and I came home with some nice raw bones for him and a package of liver. I have never touched the stuff and thanks to an influential episode of Nickelodeon's Doug. However, I bit the bullet because it seemed like a cost effective way to get some healthy, clean, high-value treats for when we start our agility class next week.

I was able to buy all of this organic/grass-fed beef liver for only $4, which is what the same booth was charging for their 1 oz bags of already dehydrated liver treats.


 
The first step is to cut the liver slices to the appropriate size. They will shrink, but not too much. Depending on your meat, you may want to flatten it to save on drying time.
 
Next, you want to arrange them on a cookie sheet. I lined mine with parchment paper to save on mess. I had enough liver for two cookie sheets.

Now, I don't have a fancy dehydrator so I made my treats using just a regular oven. The oven was set at 175 degrees. When all was said and done, this batch of treats probably spent about 5 hours in the oven. They probably would have been fine at 2 1/2-3 hours, but I wanted a little bit more of a jerky texture.

When they come out of the oven, flip them over to allow some of the moisture that accumulated to dry. You could even pop them upside-down back into the oven to finish them off.
 
Quest Approves:




No comments:

Post a Comment