Pin It

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Weights for Agility Tunnel


My wonderful husband embraced my love for our furchild and training and bought me an agility set for Christmas. I honestly think it's the best present he has ever gotten me! It had the basics: a bar jump, tire jump, weave poles, pause box, and a short tunnel (with removable chute). The tunnel came with stakes to put in the ground for outdoor practice, but this winter was also a winter with tons of rain. I was anxious to start practicing and teaching Quest the basics.

I quickly realized that the tunnel would need to be weighed down for safety. I went through my fabric scraps and pantry can came up with a plan to make some small weights.

 
 
They're simple to make. Just cut squares, put the wrong-sides together, and sew three of the sides. Then, turn the pouches right-side out and fill with rice/beans/sand. I put the rice in baggies first, so if I ever took them outside, I wouldn't have to worry about ground moisture leaking in. I took a small section of bias tape and folded it in half and placed it about halfway down the top of the weight (green tab in picture) for the line to attach to and sewed across the top.

These do not weigh very much, but for indoor/light use (ex. recalls through the tunnel) they keep a short tunnel fairly stable. If your dog is going to be running at high speeds through the tunnel - please increase the weight for everyones safety. This can be done by using water filled milk jugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment